The Latino/Hispanic Ministry mission in the Diocese of Oregon is to create vibrant Faithful Communities of the Body of Christ that nourish, strengthen, and develop Christ’s disciples in the Episcopal tradition.
Through this ministry and in listening for God’s direction we offer, to the parishes in the Diocese of Western Oregon, an opportunity to live what it means to be an Episcopalian building Christ’s Kingdom in this challenged and changing world of today.
Highlights in the Ministry
Presentation at Episcopal Camps and Conference Center, January 22-26
- Incorporating Latino Ministries Into Camping Ministry
(Participation with Camp & Retreat Ministries)
Participation with the Ministry of Lifelong Christian Formation in:
- Children’s Day at the Cathedral February 25
- Children’s Day at the Coast (Lincoln City) April 21
Participation with Camp & Retreat Ministries in:
- Latino Family Camp, June 22-24
- Latino Youth Camp, July 15-20
Plaza Comunitaria “Encuentro”:
- 32 Adult Latino students
- Workshops for married, singles, single parents, grandparents
- Seminars presented by Local Sheriff’s Office
Participation with the Communication Department of the Diocese in:
- Noticias Episcopales de la Diócesis de Oregon (OECN)
- Establish “Communication Centers” (eight by the end of the year)
Latino Youth Retreat, September 29
Traditional “Posada at the Cathedral”, December 22
Growing Leaders is an important part of Latino Ministries. Plaza “Encuentro” welcomes anyone with a desire to learn. Youth who have attended Latino Youth Camp are stepping up to become lay eucharistic ministers and camp counselors. Parishes are including Latino members on their Vestries and BACs. This ministry is strengthening Faith Communities in the Diocese who sincerely open their doors to a different sector of our society.